11 Best Laptops for Law School Students in 2021
You may be a student who is about to join a law school or an existing law school student whose laptop is damaged or isn’t able to run the law practice softwares like PracticePanther, MyCase, Clio Manage, etc. If that’s the case then you are at the right place. As the laptops in this list have been tested with 135 popular softwares (used in law school and lawyers & law firms.)
Laptops have gained popularity not only for working lawyers or computing professionals but also in the daily lives of students, especially engineering, medical school, and law students. Law schools are now encouraging students to use laptops for giving exams, completing assignments, making notes, etc. Besides, the availability of so many law practice softwares and the internet filled with unlimited case studies makes it easy for students to get more knowledge.
It started from the US, but now Law colleges all around the globe have started to promote the use of laptops by young lawyers. Thereby making it easy for students to keep track of their studies and performances. There are several laptops available for law students to use, which meets their requirements and help them in completing the course with ease.
Lenovo ThinkPad T470
Apple MacBook Air
Asus VivoBook S Full HD Laptop
Asus VivoBook F510UA
Acer Swift 3
Dell i5378-3031GRY-PUS Inspiron
Asus Zenbook UX303UA
Acer Chromebook R 13
Acer Chromebook 14
HP Chromebook Celeron N2840
Acer Spin 7
Minimum Laptop Requirements For law students
Trust us with the requirements? Go to the list!
- Specifications by the Law School
As a lawyer, privacy is a must. Majority of the Law schools would want you have to a laptop which has TPM enabled (Trusted Platform Module) and After checking around 73 law school website requirements:
- CPU: Above Intel Core i5 Processor or Above.
- RAM: 8GB Minimum (Few universities allowed 4GB models too)
- Display Size can be anything based on student’s choice.
- Storage: 100GB Minimum.
- GPU: Not much of a requirement, but make sure that you buy the model which comes with an Integrated graphics card or a better one.
- A few law schools allows Chromebooks too. If your law school wants you to have one, then you shall consider checking out the best Chromebooks we’ve listed below.
- Battery life or longevity: One of the essential requirements is the battery life of the laptop. For a student, who usually works for long hours on the computer and may use it for doing an important task like giving an exam, draining of battery in such a situation is the last thing you want to happen. Therefore, look for a laptop that works for long hours, have a backup, and have a great battery life.
- Weight and compactness: As a student, one needs to carry a laptop almost every day and everywhere. A student prefers a laptop that easily fits in the backpack, can be taken out in the breeze of the air and also is lightweight so that it doesn’t put much pressure on the backs of the students. Therefore choosing a laptop that weighs somewhere between 4lbs to 3 lbs or even less is recommended.
- RAM and storage: This is also a crucial requirement for a laptop of a law student as the students will need to store lots of assignments, heavy software and may also store additional data such as music, movies, and pictures. The laptop should have RAM of a minimum of six to eight GB with extra storage so that you don’t have to face the problem of deleting and making space for more data.
- Extended warranty: The syllabus of law is not less stressful that you need to add more stress to the expiring warranty of your laptop. Adding a little more money for extending a warranty is worth it, as you don’t need the importance of spending lots of money on repairing that laptop which may get damaged due to accidents make sure you get on-site service and customer care support from the company.
- Display of laptop: When you are going to spend the next few years looking at the screen, a small unattractive show is sure something you are not looking for. Go for a laptop with thin bezels and a minimum display screen of 13 inches; so that you get a clear view as well as excellent clarity. While this is entirely a personal choice but choose a laptop with a widescreen HD display.
- Additional features and price: While looking for a laptop, make sure it provides some extra features too. Go for a computer that has multiple USB ports so that you can connect with various devices, make sure it has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. Other than these factors, price is also a requirement you need to keep in mind as you may need a laptop which provides more features at less cost.
The Best Laptops For Law School Students & Law Firms
1. Best for Law School Students: Lenovo ThinkPad T470
- It has the 7th generation Intel Core i7 processor.
- It has a RAM of 32GB DDR4 memory.
- It has additional storage of up to 1TB SSD.
- It has a graphics card of Intel HD graphics 620.
- The additional features include stereo speakers of Dolby advanced video.
This not only comes with high-end specs, but also looks very professional and that’s the reason why it’s quite popular among professionals including top-rated lawyers. So not only will it suit really well for your profession, but also is future-proof which means you’ll also be able to use this device after your law school, when you become a professional lawyer!
If you are looking for a laptop with high efficiency and responsiveness, then Lenovo ThinkPad T470 is the perfect choice for you. It will let you switch between multiple apps effortlessly so that you can enjoy a seamless performance. The laptop features 7th generation Intel Core i7 processor, which increases productivity and is your perfect partner for your college activates.
The massive storage of 32GB RAM and 1TB additional storage lets you store more data. The SSD does have any moving parts with enhanced performance with lets you open and transfer files much faster. The system is tranquil, which allows you to use it in quiet places like the library and class. The laptop has a sturdy construction and makes it capable of sustaining bumps and scratches that it may have to face.
It uses the Windows 10 Pro signature edition, which will help you in navigation and use of laptops. The machine can work up to 18 hours on a single charge depending upon the application. The laptop is lightweight and weighs somewhere around 1.5kg and has a screen of 14” inches witch flat-screen HD display and it delivers sharp and clear visuals.
Stay connected with the in-built Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy access to data. Multiple ports like USB type C and HDMI will let you connect with every device. This laptop is an ideal choice for varsity students.
Also Read: The Best Lenovo Laptops in 2020
- It is lightweight.
- It has more storage.
- It has a great battery life.
- It is expensive.
- It has poor sound quality.
2. Best Value for Money: Apple MacBook Air
- It features a dual-core 5th generation Intel Core i5 processor.
- It has a memory of 8GB RAM.
- It has additional storage of 128GB SSD.
- The graphics card used in the laptop is Intel HD Graphics 6000.
- It has additional features of wireless performance of Wi-Fi.
This isn’t the latest model in the Apple MacBook Air series, yet we’ve included it in this list. You know why? It’s because this device has more than enough resources that you’ll ever need and isn’t costly like the latest MacBook Air. In case you don’t care about budget, you can consider getting the latest MacBook Air.
But like most of the students who are getting into a law school you must be having a lot of other expenses going around, that’s the reason why we thought that getting this laptop could be a win-win!
Apple, the Cupertino based electronics giant has never failed to impress us with its technology, and this time with its MacBook air which is filled with multiple features; it is undoubtedly something to look forward to. MacBook Air uses the 5th generation Intel i5 core processor, which makes all the activities from surfing the internet to exchanging of files ultrafast.
The memory of 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD will let to store as much as the data you need. The pure tone technology will give you clear and sharp visuals. If you are trying to save an important project or data from leak or piracy, then Apple has saved your back here too by providing an advanced security system of a built-in touch ID that unlocks your laptop by using the sensor inside it.
The keyboard in the laptop uses a butterfly mechanism through which one can get more excellent responsiveness. The backlit LED keys with light sensors help you in using this laptop in low bright areas and environments. The MacBook Air weighs just 1.25kgs, making it super light, compact and easy to travel with. The battery life lasts up to 12 hours, letting you work for long hours without any interruptions.
The laptop also features thunderbolt three bandwidth for better connectivity. The laptop features stereo speakers for 25% better sound clarity and FaceTime camera with a microphone for high-quality video calls.
- It is light and thin.
- It has the right keyboard.
- It has a great battery life.
- The CPU is outdated.
- The USB port doesn’t support Type C USB.
3. Best Performance: Asus VivoBook S Full HD Laptop
- It features a 7th generation Intel Core i7 processor.
- Under its hood, it holds a RAM of 16GB DDR4 memory.
- It has an additional storage of 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD combo.
- It has a graphics card from NVIDIA GeForce MX150.
- The additional features include Ergonomic Backlit Keyboard.
As a law student, you’ll be spending a good amount of time in front of a laptop browsing for the legal cases or doing research when preparing for mock trials, case studies, etc. That surely would require you to open so many browser tabs and this laptop with i7, 16GB RAM + 128GB SSD would make it really fast. If you are looking for a lightweight laptop with an efficient processor and seamless performance, the Asus VivoBook S Full HD laptop is the perfect match for you.
This machine comes with the Intel Core i7 processor and also has plenty of storage of about 16GB RAM and 128GB+1TB SSD/HDD extra room so that you can store as much data as you want with no hiccups and smooth experience.
The main focus of the laptop falls on its lightweight and thin construction, making it travel-friendly and compact. The weight of the laptop is around 3.7lbs, and the profile is 0.8 slim. It promises to deliver ultra-smooth visuals with its NanoEdge display and ultra-narrow bezel for a widescreen view. The laptop features an ergonomic backlit keyboard for effortless and comfortable typing experience.
It provides secure connectivity with multiple USB connectivity which includes 3.1 gen one port USB and its unique ‘any-way-up’ Type C USB connection. The laptop has four modes that are easy to access. The patterns are manual, vivid, eye-care, standard. The ASUS Tru2Life technology optimizes with the contrast and sharpness of the image or video for providing best in class experience. The fingerprint sensor in the touchpad allows you to access the laptop in no time and gives you security.
- It has a thin and elegant chassis.
- It has seamless technology and an ultra-sleek look.
- It has some excellent display.
- Speakers are a big disappointment.
- It has an average battery life.
4. Best Under Budget: Asus VivoBook F510UA
- Display of 15.6 inches screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 px
- Comes with a 1TB HDD, 8 GB DDR4 RAM (Works best with an SSD Hard Drive)
- The processing power of Intel Core i5 (8th Gen)
- The Graphics Processor is Intel HD Graphics 620.
- Comes with a Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Are you looking for a budget laptop that’ll help you in during your law classes? Well, this is the one you should consider. However, this model lacks a SSD. Not only does it means that the transfer would be slow, but it means that the apps, startup and other things would be quite slower than the laptops that come with a SSD.
The all-new ASUS Vivobook FHD will give the benefits of style and efficiency. The Nanoedge display gives an incredible screen-to-body ratio of 80%. The ultra-narrow bezel makes it the ultimate solution for sharing and viewing content.
The laptop is just 3.7 lbs, making it ultra-light and very compact. What makes this laptop even more powerful is the processor under its hood. It is powered by the Intel Core i5 processor, storage of 8GB RAM and a graphics card of latest Intel UHD 620 graphics. The ample storage and latest CPU provides a seamless experience with no hiccups and smooth working.
This Asus laptop offers the ease of complete connectivity as it is equipped with USB gen one and a reversible type C USB for faster and quick connectivity with an extensive range of devices. The laptop has access to ASUS Tru2life video technology, making it looks fantastic, and it also features incredible optimization technology. The color of the computer is star grey, and it uses an operating system of windows ten home.
It also has an ergonomic Chiclet keyboard with a fingerprint sensor for easy, quick, and safe access to the laptop. The laptop has in-built Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity for lightning-fast use of the internet and the sharing of hassle-free content.
- It is lightweight and compact.
- The fingerprint sensor is accurate.
- The laptop has a widescreen display with sharp and clear visuals.
- It has a weak battery life.
- It has low-quality keys that flex unevenly.
5. Best For Traveling Lawyers: Acer Swift 3
- It has a processing power of Intel Core i5 (8th Gen).
- It has a 8GB LPDDR3 RAM.
- It has additional storage of 256 HDD.
- The Graphics Processor is Intel HD Graphics 620.
- It has a display of 14 inches screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
The Acer Swift 3 is a bargain if you’re looking for something with a reasonable price/quality ratio. The keyboard layout is straightforward to get adjusted to. In the initial years of your student life in a law school, you won’t be typing much, but in the coming years you’ll be spending huge time drafting agreements, cases, writing clauses, etc. which will continue even when you become a lawyer. In case you also have a soft corner for writing or blogging, then you shall consider checking out our list on best laptops for writers.
It has a very durable and very sleek design and at the same time is surprisingly robust. The chassis is made of magnesium-lithium and aluminum metal which makes it ultra-light and it weighs just 1.19kg and is 15.9mm thin.
It comes with only two narrow bezels measuring 14” FHD screen. The Acer color intelligence and the Exacolor provide you with sharp and enhanced color contrast and view. The 8th Gen Intel Core processor delivers accelerated AI performance with 2x better graphics performance and faster speed. The NVIDIA GeForce allows you to have efficient and quicker performance.
The battery life lasts for up to 12.5hrs in a single charge and the additional benefit of its battery life in just 30mins of charging it can provide up to 4hrs of charge. The fingerprint sensor on the laptop lets you access the laptop more securely and faster.
The Cortana on the laptop can be used as a smart assistant which will help you with all your questions. The full range of connectivity can be met by the USB-C function, which will help you connect with all types of devices. The dual-band Wi-Fi and MU-MIMO help with the faster speed on the internet and provide faster download speed.
- It doesn’t have a touchscreen.
- It doesn’t have a USB Type-C port.
- It has a good battery life.
- Strong and sturdy construction.
- Reliable fingerprint sensor.
- It doesn’t have a touchscreen.
- It doesn’t have a USB Type-C port.
6. Best From Dell: Dell i5378-3031GRY-PUS Inspiron
- It has the processing power of Intel Core i3 (7th Gen).
- It has a 4 GB DDR4 RAM.
- It has additional storage of 1TB of HDD.
- It has a graphical processor of Intel HD Graphics 620.
- Display of 13.3″ (33.78 cm) screen with resolution of 1920 x 1080 px.
If you are looking for a versatile and stylish laptop, Dell Inspiron is your perfect choice. It comes with multiple modes with an innovative 360-degree hinge; the versatile and lightweight Inspiron allows you to switch easily between four different ways.
The laptop is suitable for various purposes like the tent mode is perfect for using recipes in real time, stand way for movies on the airplane, laptop mode for typing your novel or emailing work, and tablet mode make reading while you’re reclined more accessible than ever. These four modes will provide you with comfortable viewing.
The 13.3″ inches is our most popular 2-in-1 size; it’s easy to slip into your backpack and provides ample screen room to use for hours without eye fatigue. If you are someone who spends too much time on laptops, this laptop is outstanding. The new Inspiron 5000 comes with Waves MaxxAudio Pro audio, and available Intel HD Graphics 620 installed, so your media looks and sounds better than ever. So now you can enjoy excellent audio quality while you enjoy movies or videos.
The Inspiron 5000 Series from Dell is a 2-in-1 machine that is equipped with 802.11ac Wi-Fi for fast, long-range wireless connection with less buffering and drops compared to older designs. The new DELL Inspiron will be your best partner while you use it in your college.
- It is lightweight.
- It has a widescreen.
- It features four different modes.
- It has an average battery life.
- The audio quality is not up to the mark.
7. Best Budget Runner Up: Asus Zenbook UX303UA
- It features a 6th generation Intel core i5 processor.
- It has a RAM of 8GB.
- It has additional storage of 256GB SSD storage.
- It has an Intel HD Graphics card.
- It also features Bluetooth and in-built Wi-Fi.
The all-new model from ASUS Zenbook will provide you with the best in class design, mobility, and performance. If you are someone who looks for speed in life and expects the same from your laptop, Zenbook UX303UA is the one for you. It has a 13.3″ IPS multi-touch display with stunning clarity and high resolution.
The laptop is ultra-light with aluminum chassis which is enhanced by the spun-metal finish to give you a classy look with the benefit of lightweight and compact design. Under its hood, it holds a 6th generation Intel Core i5 processor which helps you in multitasking and resumes quickly from standby mode. It is ultra-slim and has a 0.7-inch design and weighs just 3.2lbs.
It has plenty of storage with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM which provides you to store all your projects, notes or documents. The battery life lasts for up to 7 hours. The display of the laptop is bright, vivid, and comes with crisp graphics with a 178-degree viewing angle.
The keyboard is backlit, which adjusts automatically to suit ambient lighting, which means you can see keys in complete darkness. It has a nice touchscreen feature that is precise and accurate and helps you in writing or navigating. The sound quality is fantastic, and the laptop comes with an additional element of 1year accidental damage.
It has a nice touchscreen feature that is precise and accurate and helps you in writing or navigating. The sound quality is fantastic, and the laptop comes with an additional element of 1year accidental damage.
- It has a precise touchscreen.
- The keyboard is backlit and comfortable to use.
- It has a widescreen and a good display.
- The battery life is average.
- The sound quality is not so good.
8. Best Chromebook for Law School Students: Acer Chromebook R 13
- It has a MediaTek M8173C Quad-core Processor
- The laptop has a 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
- It comes in hard SSD capacities of 16/32/64 GB
- It has a PowerVR GX6250 graphics processor
- It also has a Touch Display
Does your law school require you to bring a Chromebook with you or is it you who want to carry a Chromebook for a few classes where you’ll be spending huge time researching on the internet? In that case, this one’s our recommendation!
Acer Chromebook R 13is a convertible laptop that comes with a 360-degree hinge and can be used as a laptop, tablet, tent, and stand. It features a 13.3-inch Full HD IPS LCD 10-point touch display with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels and a wide viewing span of up to 170 degrees. It runs Chrome OS and is powered by quad-core MediaTek M8173c processor, a neon multimedia processing engine and PowerVR GX6250 GPU.
This is the first 13 inches convertible to come into the market as well as the first Mediatek Chrome book. On the memory front, it comes with 4GB DDR3 RAM and a choice of 16GB, 32GB, and 64 GB eMMc Flash memory. It incorporates a three-cell battery that keeps the device running for up to 12 hours.
A host of connectivity options are available on Acer Chrome book R13 like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 1 USB 3.0 port, 1 USB Type C port, SD card reader, 1 Full-size HDMI port and a combination headphone/speaker jack. It sports an HD webcam, integrated microphone, dual built-in speakers, full-sized Chrome keyboard and touchpad featuring click-anywhere functionality.
The new Chromebook 13 focuses exclusively on performance and build quality and hopes to prove that Chrome OS can be an excellent traditional clamshell choice.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- The 360-degree rotating screen helps in working.
- It has decent processing power and is suitable for proper use.
- The keyboard is not well built; hence, it feels cheap.
- Only suitable for writing emails, surfing, and light entertainment purposes.
9. Chromebook For Lawyers (Runner Up): Acer Chromebook 14
- It has a 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron N3160 processor (quad-core, 2MB cache, up to 2.24GHz)
- It has a 4GB LPDDR3 RAM
- It comes in hard SSD capacities of 32 GB
- It features an Intel HD Graphics 400 card
- The Acer Chromebook 14 includes a one-year limited hardware warranty.
The all-new Acer Chromebook 14 is a better sign of its previous counterpart. The Acer Chromebook 14’s 4.1 x 3-inch, buttonless touchpad accurately tracked all inputs. Acer’s Chromebook 14 is lightweight due to its aluminum alloy housing. It is possessed of strength, style, and durability.
It is thin and compact and has a bigger screen and display with its HD resolution and IPS technology which provides low reflection and an anti-glare screen for more fabulous, clear, and crisp clarity and display. The battery life lasts for up to 12 hours which will keep you away from charging sockets and let you spend more time with your studies. The laptop features dual-band MIMO technology which will allow you to stream and download faster.
The laptop also features an in-built webcam for HDR imaging and better quality video calling. The laptop has 4GB RAM and 32GB SSD which will provide you with faster performance with no hiccups or lagging so now you can multitask much as you want. The ultra-thin frame makes very portable and lets you slip it inside backpacks, briefcase and travel bags.
The keyboard is comfortable to type. The machine works silently and doesn’t overheat. The quad-core processor delivers rich content and provides you with faster performance. It features Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth, which helps you download and share files easily.
- It has an excellent battery life.
- It has a high resolution and functional display.
- It is well constructed.
- It has limited connectivity.
- It is not very compact.
10. Cheap Chromebook for Law School: HP Chromebook Celeron N2840
- It features an Intel Celeron processor.
- It has 4GB RAM.
- It has additional storage of 16GB SSD.
- The graphics card of the Intel HD Graphics 500 is installed.
- It features HD audio and stereo speakers.
The all-new HP Chromebook Celeron N2840 is armed with an Intel Celeron N3350 CPU which provides faster and efficient performance. The storage of the laptop is of 4GB RAM, which is enough for a student to store all the documents and noted comfortably. The Chromebook 14 has an attractive design highlighted by a fresh white color variant that is sure to stand out in a crowd.
The Chromebook 14 is made of plastic, though the different textures give it a rugged yet welcome feel. The laptop is lightweight and thin at 0.7 inches thick and weighing 3.3 pounds; the Chromebook 14 is predictably lighter. This will allow you to carry it and travel with it easily without any hassle. The left side of the Chromebook 14 has a USB Type-C port, a USB 3.0 port, and a lock slot. On the right side are a microSD card slot, a headphone jack and another pair of USB 3.0 and USB Type-C ports. These multiple ports will allow the user to connect with any device.
The white, chiclet-style keys are well-spaced and large, apart from some undersized arrow keys. This will let you type with ease. The laptop has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity which helps the user to stream and download data quickly and also share it with convenience. The advanced processor and graphics card will make sure you can multitask without any hiccups and that the laptop provides you with reliable performance.
- It has a long battery life.
- It has an attractive chassis.
- The keyboard is comfortable.
- The battery life is average.
- The display is not much vibrant.
11. Best for Versatility: Acer Spin 7
- It has a 7th generation Intel core processor.
- It has 8GB of RAM.
- It has 256GB of SSD as additional storage.
- It has a graphics card of Intel HD Graphics 615.
- It can be folded into four different modes.
If you are someone who is looking for a laptop that can be used in different ways as well as give you versatility and top-class performance, then ACER Spin 7 is the best choice for you. The laptop can be folded into four different modes which are a tent, tablet, PC, and display mode. You can set it according to your right fit.
The laptop under its hood holds a 7th generation Intel core processor which an impressive speed of 1.3GHz. The laptop is loaded with storage of 8GB RAM and additional storage of 256GB SSD for efficiency and excellent speed and performance. Now you multitask and use as many apps as you want without any lags or hiccups.
The battery life of the laptop lasts for 8hours on a single charge depending upon the use. So now you can attend the classes without waiting near charging sockets. The lightweight notebook weighs only 2.lbs and is just 0.43 inches thin so that it easily fits in your backpack and you can travel it anywhere.
The most important feature is the backlit keyboard which allows you to use it even in dark surroundings, and the multi-touch support provides for intuitive and superior control. The Wi-Fi technology is relatively fast, and the in-built Bluetooth lets you share and receive files quickly.
- It has a great battery life.
- It has an ergonomic keyboard, and the touchpad is spacious.
- It is slim and lightweight.
- The touchpad is not much responsive.
- The connectivity options are limited.
If you are someone who is pursuing law, then you must be prepared about the truckload of assignments and documents you need to keep in hand and work continuously on. A good laptop will help you in this process which provides you with longer battery life and more storage, which at the same time should be lightweight and compact. Go for a laptop that offers you these features at a low price and also provides value for money. While there are multiple options present in the market, ultimately the one which fits in your budget and moreover fulfills, your requirements should be your best choice.